As more than 500,000 children grew up in orphanages, foster care, children’s homes or other institutions in Australia over the last century, the Australian Government has set up a national network of Find & Connect Support Services to help improve the lives of Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants.
Who can access Find & Connect Support Services?
Find & Connect offers support to Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants who were in care in Australia between 1920 and 1989, including those who were in foster care, orphanage care, and in care at other State or church-based institutions.
What does Find & Connect offer?
Services available to people who were in care prior to 1989 include:
- individualised support and counselling
- assist where possible, in obtaining your personal records, tracing your history and helping to understand why you were placed into care
- connecting with other services and support networks that may assist you
- developing social connections through events and groups
- reconnecting with family, where possible
Need more information?
For more information about services offered across Australia and for a history of child welfare in Australia visit www.findandconnect.gov.au
Find & Connect Support Services is a FREE and confidential service.
151B South Terrace Adelaide 5000
Phone: 1800 161 109 (freecall)
Find & Connect Service is a service of Relationships Australia South Australia and is funded by the Commonwealth Department for Social Services.